Friday, August 2, 2013

The Conjuring



"She made me do it!"

It has been years since the last time I watched a very good horror movie. James Wan did it once again. This is so far the scariest movie from him. If you want goriness, you can always watch the Saw franchise, if you want creepily disturbing movie, you have Dead Silence, but The Conjuring is downright scary.

After the Saw franchise, I wanted more from him. He delivered a good scripted movie in Insidious, it's about the astral traveler in our modern time. Then I heard he's currently writing a sequel, next chapter of that movie. Back then, I wasn't aware of The Conjuring. Yes, I saw the teaser poster of The Conjuring and I thought it was okay, until the second poster came out. To top that poster, it says based on true story. After a while, the third poster blown my mind, which I featured in this post. This poster immediately grabs my attention.

If you put a face on horror movie, you already won people's heart. It's much more scarier if there's a face in horror movie. Let's take Wes Craven, we have Freddy Krueger and The Ghostface Killer. Not to mention John Carpenter's Michael Myers and Victor Miller's Jason Vorhees. In The Conjuring, we have the doll that looks like James' Billy in Dead Silence.

In my opinions, James did an amazing movie. From the beautiful mid-century sets to the mind-boggling casting, this movie fits everything perfectly. Vera Farmiga's facial expression in this movie was beyond my imagination. She did an amazing job in the Orphan and she did it again this time, so far the best performance from her.

The script was simple, beautifully written and yet nightmarish. No poltergeist, no serial killer and no killing doll, for sure, but James did delivered that dreadful feeling in this movie. It's hard to make a scary movie, but when you do, you have to make the audiences wanting more and more. That's what good horror movie is all about, wanting more even though it's killing you on the inside. I won't watch scary movies with people, I'd prefer watching it alone because when you are alone, you can actually feel the movie, feel the creepiness behind it's audio and surround yourself with a blanket of darkness.

Talk about the audio, The Conjuring delivered a very good grisly and horrid sounds. I think it's the same composer from Insidious, might do a reading on that. It's nothing like Hans Zimmer's or Gerrard Marrino's, it's more of a combination between Akira Yamaoka's and Jason Graves'. It has that creepy essence of eerie and spooky, which is perfect.

Horror fans out there should watch this movie. You can either leap out of your skin or sit tightly in you safe heaven without giving it a try. This movie left me feeling terrified and I hope there's more from James Wan.