Sunday, April 26, 2015

Interstellar


"Love is the one thing that transcends time and space."

I wrote a review about Interstellar last year, but I didn’t post it. Interstellar was my movie of the year in 2014 and until now, I can’t get over the fact that Cristopher Nolan did that movie in a brilliant way. In my opinions, Interstellar was one of the most ambitious movies from him. Despite the fact that Inception and The Dark Knight trilogy did so well in the past few years, people wanted more from him and he did it brilliantly. The thing about Interstellar is that everything in that movie was based on science and Nolan was really being realistic in shooting this movie. Everything Nolan did was real, from the camera, lighting, props and other smaller things. You have to watch its Blu-ray and then you’ll know what I mean.

Now, where do I start? I’m going to categorize my review into smaller parts so I can be thorough with this movie. I hope everyone have watched this amazing movie before reading this post.

Casting

From McConaughey’s emotional scene to Hatheway’s dramatic acting, these people were born to act. To be honest, I cried a little (not so much, I guess) here and there (and swipe it away immedietly before everyone noticed) because I can feel those emotions. As a guy (and one day I’m going to be a father), leaving your daughter behind for the sake of mankind was really hard. So, I can relate myself with the main character. Try to put yourself in their shoes and imagine everything that happened in that movie was real. At some point, we actually care about these characters. These familiar faces were simply amazing and I think Nolan did it right by having them on sets.

Soundtrack

Hans Zimmer. Do I need to elaborate more? Okay, I need to elaborate more. His composing skills were really beyond my imagination. I’ve fallen in love with his work since Pirates of The Caribbean: The Curse of The Black Pearl. Every time I wanted to do something dramatic, I’d always have He’s a Pirate, Dream Is Collapsing and The Fire Rises on shuffle. These tracks are some of my favorites, but Hans Zimmer did it differently in Interstellar. This time, he composed it using a pipe organ and that’s what makes it so interesting. Those tracks have soul in it. I can feel those notes in my bone. He tried to give the audiences of feeling alone and vulnerable at the same time. He did one hell of a job and I really liked it. Interstellar OST is a must have for everyone.

Storyline

After you watched Memento, The Prestige, Inception and other Nolan’s work, your expectation towards his new movie will be higher than before. I still remember the day they launched a teaser of Interstellar, I was quite down by it because it shows nothing. The big idea here was space exploration. That’s it, nothing more, nothing less. So, as I was waiting patiently for this movie to come out, Nolan did release a few new trailers about his sci-fi movie. Then it hit me; I wanted to watch this movie so bad because of its secretive elements. You can’t judge a movie by its trailer, no. Then I promised myself to watch it the second it hits the theater. To be fair, I was awestruck with everything Nolan did in this movie. At first, I was having a hard time grasping on the scientific facts, but after a few minutes, my train of thoughts catch his drift. The science behind this movie is so real I got chills in my bone. I’m kind of into sci-fi flicks, so theories about wormholes and whatnot are kind of easy to me, but then I discovered a whole new level of scientific theories because of this movie. Not just that, the plot between what’s going to happen, what just happened and what the future holds is kind of interesting; I really, really liked it. You overthink about a simple idea they were trying to tell you and that’s great. I bet this movie inspires young generation to become an explorer and see life differently in future. Interstellar is the kind of movie that you can watch it over and over again, no matter how old you are, it will stay in your heart.

Nolan’s modus operandi ended with a beautiful scene. Interstellar is a masterpiece. It’s visually beautiful, ingenuous in parts and left you dumbfounded. I wish I could express it more enthusiastically, but this is one of my favorite movies and I think it will suit you well.